Thursday, March 22, 2012

I've got Trayvon Martin on my mind

Dear Trayvon,

What was it like for you in those last moments of your life? One moment you were carefree, or so you thought, the next, shot dead. Sometimes things stay the same, then suddenly they change.

I took a picture of myself with a hoodie on, and posted it on Facebook to stand in solidarity with your family and with all the Trayvon Martin's of the world. A million others have done the same, a symbolic gesture to remember you, to honor you, to mourn for you. And millions are marching for you too. Like Ella Baker said: "Until the killing of Black men -- Black mother's sons -- becomes as important as the killing of a white mother's son, we who believe in freedom cannot rest." With Obama in the White House, we know that some Black men have white mothers or another colored mother who worry for their sons too. You are my brother in the family of the human race.

I want to bring you back to life and watch a movie with you. Were you planning to go see Hunger Games this weekend? Would you have watched excitedly as you munched on Skittles and gulped iced tea?

I want to bring you back to life and go to a basketball game with you. I haven't seen a game in forever, yet I got swept up in Linsanity, thrilled to see an Asian brother throwing down on the NBA b-ball court. I want to know, were you a fan of Jeremy Lin?

I want to bring you back to life and introduce you to my sister. Would you be a Little Brother to her, watch out for her, a grown woman who lives in assisted living, who needs help brushing her teeth, who craves attention, who may not have heard of you because she doesn't watch the news. Would you watch Three Stooges and laugh out loud with her?

I offer you these memories that never were. I offer you my love. I offer you a commitment to see justice done.

In sorrow and solidarity,
From a sister who wanted to know you













3 comments:

  1. What a moving tribute. What I'm getting from your words is your keenly felt wisdom (sadly lost on some of us) that we are all connected and when this happens to one of us, it happens to all of us. It's comforting to know that there is a public outcry to on his behalf. Many of us are defiant of this injustice and stand with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhymes and ReasonsMarch 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

    I am reaching out to you because I think that you might like my blog, Rhymes and Reasons. It’s a series of interviews with hip-hop heads who discuss their lives and a few songs that matter to them. Pretty powerful stuff. Check’em out here:

    http://thisisrhymesandreasons.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah; you a warrior woman, girl. trayvon would dig you, like i do; like we do, 'cause so real.

    ReplyDelete